Event Consultant: Lynn Clark
Event Description: Inserter DOE Week 2
Event Location: Baldwinsville, NY
Preliminary Questions (from last report):
- What is the relationship between the quality control measures Baldwinsville takes and the defects observed at another plant?
- Is the sampling frequency appropriate to keep bad product out of customer’s process?
- How well does BVL perform those measures?
- How well do the quality control measures meet the customer specs (Capability)?
This Week’s Key Actions:
- Conducted capability analysis of __________ hourly quality measurements.
- Compared ___________ hourly quality measurements with customer defects.
- Prepared samples for MSA evaluation.
- Conducted operator measurements.
- Performed MSAs.
- Prepared conclusions and recommendations based upon MSA findings.
- Reviewed and updated action registry.
- Many parameters are measured hourly and entered into _________.
- Data for Feb., March and April was evaluated.
- Each parameter was checked for normality and stability before performing capability analysis.
MSA Sample Preparation:
- Off spec item were used for this test so no additional scrap was generated.
- The operator manipulated the _______ to induce variation consistent with that observed in the historical data.
- Ten samples were pre-selected by CI team for each of the three parameters.
- Four operators who routinely perform these test participated.
- The samples were randomized before presentation to the operators.
- Each operator evaluated each sample twice
- Two operators indicated they could not measure skew considering the way the samples were prepared,
- Good measurement systems have <10% Tolerance and Process.
- %Tol and % Process must be <30% for acceptance.
MSA Conclusions and Recommendations:
- Current process measurements can’t tell good from bad, or if the process is getting better or worse.
- No standard work for X exists.
- Standard work for alignment and width were not present.
Use of black light at measurement station appears to aide in reduction of measurement error.
- Develop/Revise standard work for all measurements
- Trial use of black lights at measurement stations
- Train all operators who perform the measurements
- Re-run MSA to determine if %Tol is <30%.
- Modify leader standard work to include spot checks of measurement system.