SMED Kaizen Train The Trainer Event
Event Consultant: Zack Guthrie
Event Description: Single Minute Exchange of Dies (SMED) Train The Trainer Event
Event Location: Fort Worth, Texas
- The Make-Ready time for ABC was above average. The target is to reduce the average M/R time by 20%.
- Improve Safety
- Reduce Make-Ready Time.
- Identify all external make-ready activities.
- Streamline all internal make-ready activities.
- Clearly define simultaneous internal make-ready activities responsibilities and timing.
- Organize and define 5S activities as it relates to Make-Ready.
- Replicate to other Presses
- Create Make-Ready Standard Work and targets.
- 18 safety hazards were corrected, including replacing cracked electrical outlets, repairing stair gaps, and implementing the use of a dolly to decrease the risk of injury when moving large objects.
- Using 5s practices we reduced waiting and waste of motion by creating a shadow board for tools, a Make-Ready portable kit with needed supplies, a staging area for “Next Job” material, as well as dedicated areas for completed jobs and other material.
- Created standard work for multiple processes to reduce variation and provide training documentation. Also created a Gantt chart for Make-Ready standard work with visual components for a medium complexity change-over.