AM is defined as a partnership between production and maintenance, with the common goal of improving overall equipment performance, availability and yield. Operators learn how their equipment is supposed to operate, what sorts of problems can occur, and how they can help reduce those problems. Typical goals of AM:
- To improve OEE by reducing unplanned downtime, and the time to respond to downtime events
- Develop a partnership between production and maintenance
- Movement of conventional equipment care tasks from the maintenance crew to production personnel
- To reduce the overall cost of maintenance
Primary tasks performed during AM include:
Whose Asset is it?
All employees play an active role in equipment maintenance
AM is one of the (7) preventative tools used in tgg’s equipment reliability model called STRANDS. As more employees are involved with equipment maintenance abnormalities become more visible. When performing AM, remember these phrases:
- Clean to inspect
- Inspect to detect
- Detect to correct
- Correct to perfect
This is an excellent start moving your team from reactive fire fighting to a planned, organized and tested PDCA within maintenance.
Typical Initial AM Event:
This would be performed on a selected piece of equipment which is experiencing low OEE. Lessons learned here could be leveraged throughout the rest of the organization.
- Three (3) days planning the event. This is needed to ensure all of the necessary resources are available including people, OEM manuals, cleaning supplies, PPE, etc.
- Eight (8) days to conduct the event.
- Two (2) days to assess how well the event achieved the goals, to follow up on any open actions, and to plan the next event.
Actual times would vary based upon the circumstances of resource availability, production demands, and complexity of the asset.
- Pictorial work instructions for common AM tasks
- Overall index of the respective equipment’s AM tasks broken down by zone, time-frame, and skill set
- Start up procedures
- Shut down procedures
- Safety procedures
- Development and tracking of key performance metrics